KATEMO LOCAL SCHOOL
We care about the next generation
The beauty of nature is Timeless, but how can we conserve what is so precious to us.
Long-term conservation is not just about donating money into conservation projects, unfortunately it’s a bit more complex than that. Of course anti-poaching programs are very important and effective but conservation basically starts with planting a seed and once it develops, it has to be nurtured for it to grow in the right direction. Conservation depends much on the development of the local population. Basically: the future of nature is in the hands of our children.
We all know that most schools and educational programs in Africa, Zambia, leave much to be desired. A few problems are:
- In distant areas it is not easy to get enough qualified teachers. Sometimes schools work with volunteers.
- Many schools suffer from a shortage of proper school infrastructure and facilities.
- Primary schools are free but secondary schools are not. Many parents lack money to send children to higher grades, or to provide food for a school day.
- Very often the number of pupils are too high for each classroom.
Each individual or company can only do so much within its own capabilities, but if everybody does a little, the impact will be huge.
Is the government not responsible for improving the educational system? Yes, of course, and things and people’s lives have improved gradually over the last 10 years …but it’s a very slow process that needs speeding up.
This is why Track and Trail River Camp decided to start a sponsor program for an already existing school by the name of Katemo, located in Kakumbi chiefdom.
FIRST SOME DETAILS ABOUT KATEMO SCHOOL
- Katemo School is located in a beautiful bushy area about 35 kilometers from the National Park. The main area consists of 5 classrooms, the principal’s office and 2 teachers’ rooms. The school has 8 toilets, 4 for boys and 4 for girls.
- Water and sanitation: Katemo has a well. However, this well is too shallow to be used as clean and safe drinking water for the school.
Student population: 536
|Grade 1||53||Grade 6||46|
|Grade 2||60||Grade 7||29|
|Grade 3||75||Grade 8||54|
|Grade 4||62||Grade 9||19|
WHAT IS OUR PLAN?
Plainly put, to tackle some or most of the problems mentioned.
- Katemo School has 6 teachers and some of them are under qualified and have to undergo training. Stichting – A charity organisation known as Kambo is helping the school out with educational training programs for teachers. Kambo is a Dutch charity.
- School facilities. Most of the buildings need desperate attention as the foundation is not good and the structure has been affected by the work of termites. In other words, we have to make new classrooms from scratch.
- Other school facilities include better toilets, a new well or borehole and a water pipe system. There is no school library and some teacher houses are in a very bad condition. The school needs more furniture and supplies of stationary
- Parents’ lack of money. While we can not financially benefit the community , we can make it easier for the kids to enter school and have an education. Our plan is to help with the facilitation of school uniforms, stationary and one local meal a day.
- Too many kids per classroom. The school routine is currently operating on shift basis as there are not enough classrooms, teachers and other facilities to accommodate all students. The solution is, to make more classrooms and attract more certified and qualified teachers.
SOME BENEFITS TO THE SPONSORS
We work together with Kambo Foundation who has ANBI status, which will give you tax benefits (only for Dutch investors). See www.StichtingKambo.nl
We will provide a Katemo – T&T newsletter twice a year to keep sponsors informed about the developments in the sponsor program.
Book a sponsor safari-package value $5000,-
Stay at T&TRC for 6 nights (2 pax sharing) – all inclusive
1 st day pick up from Mfuwe airport – accommodation & meals
Day:2 & 3 – Safari package, including 2 game activities a day
Day 4 Charity program – Katemo school and CSL visit (Conservation society Luangwa)
Day 5 – Safari package, including 2 game activities.
Day 6 – Private all day drive with picnic into the National Park
Day 7- end of itinerary, drop off at Mfuwe airport
Extra is bar and park fees!
Proflight (national flights can be booked through us!) The international airfare is extra as well.
PACK FOR A PURPOSE
We are proud members of Pack for a Purpose, an initiative that allows travelers like you to make a lasting impact in the community at your travel destination. If you save just a few kilos of space in your suitcase and take supplies for the projects we support in need, you’ll make a priceless impact in the lives of our local children and families.
Please click here to see what supplies are needed for our project/projects.